Resource: The Green Economy Map
After I finished writing Green Careers For Dummies, I had details about over 50 different green industries swirling around in my mind. Although there were lists of green industries on the web, no one had pulled the industries together that could be grasped at a glance.
Although I created twelve other Green Economy Maps between 2007 and 2009, they were all designed around a series of silos—silos that didn’t relate to one another. Then in a flash of insight I realized that one of the most important elements of the emerging economy is that it’s a system where a change in one industry impacts other industries.
Who Will Benefit from the Green Economy Map
You can use this resource at a number of points in your quest for a green career.
- When you want to understand which industries included in the green / sustainable economy
- When you are trying to figure out where your skills fit within a particular area of an industry
- When you want to immerse yourself in your target industry for networking and learning
- When you are trying to figure out what training/education you need to excel in an industry
- When you are searching for companies to target for your job search.
How to Leverage the Green Economy Map for Your Needs
- Check out the Green Economy Map itself. Notice which sectors of the map call to you.
- Click on the sector to discover the industries that make up that sector. Read the overview of each industry in that sector while you are there.
- Click on the link of your favorite industries to reach an in depth profile with a concise summary of the overall industry, links to key industry reports, information about the roles within the industry, training requirements, ways to track developments in the industry, relevant key words you can use to search for positions and prepare for your interviews, and more.
A Few Extra Pointers
Researching your career options can be one of the most overwhelming parts of your quest to a green economy. There’s so much to figure out, so many resources to consider, so many unknowns to sort through.
- It’s not possible to explore the entire Green Economy Map in depth. Having a clear focus that aligns with your skills, interests, experience, and education will help you know what sections of the Map to concentrate on.
- Pace yourself! Don’t try to take it all in within one sitting. Start broad and then drill down to get more and more details about the sub-section of your target industry.